Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> PhpBB2 General Support
Ask Mr. Religion

Are there any no parse bbcodes?

I frequently have to explain how to use bbcode tags, especially involving interaction with content that includes multiple quoted content. I need something similar to vBulletin's noparse tags that prevent the actual bbcode being shown in my posts from being interpreted. I know I can turn off bbcode for an individual post, but this limits formatting needed to emphasize the points I am making. Does such a noparse tag exist? If not, would this be a difficult feature to implement? I suspect it exists, as the page:

http://forum.myfreeforum.org/faq.php?mode=bbcode

would be impossible to produce.

Thanks.
Ask Mr. Religion

I found a reference to the code tags that may do the trick although it is a bit more cumbersome as it shows all content with the code tag as quoted material.

What I need is something that allows creation using the same formatting style as used by the bbcode explanation page I linked to above.
myff admin

When you post there is a checkbox Disable BBcode.
Ask Mr. Religion

myff admin wrote:
When you post there is a checkbox Disable BBcode.
Yes, I noted that above.

The issue is that this global option prevents use of any sort of formatting as one discusses how to use bbcodes with users.

This page:
http://forum.myfreeforum.org/faq.php?mode=bbcode

hints that there is a means of showing bbcodes without them being parsed and also to format these codes, e.g., using boldface, for emphasis in explaining their use.
myff admin

this isn't a global option, it is there on every post you make.
Ask Mr. Religion

myff admin wrote:
this isn't a global option, it is there on every post you make.
Yes. It is global for that specific post, so there is no way to show a bbcode and also format that code as, say, boldface, at the same time, when explaining how to use these codes to others in a post.

I would like to be able to have a means via something like a set of [noparse] [/noparse] tags to show bbcodes, including formatting them in boldface, italics, color, etc., to make some point of instruction to a user. This would be less cumbersome that using code tags that always show up in quoted formats, e.g.,

Code:
[quote]Yada, yada[/quote]

Instead I want to be able to just have the ability to have the bbcodes rendered in the post without the code "window" and with the ability to format the codes to call attention to them for some instructive purpose. In the screenshot below is an example of what I would like to be able to do

As above indicates, diabling BBCode in the post makes a post like this impossible. Using code tags adds unnecessary "windowing" around the code tagged text.
myff admin

Ok, I get what you are saying, will try and look into if is is something I can rig up.
it sounds a bit tricky in a tricky area though.
Ask Mr. Religion

myff admin wrote:
Ok, I get what you are saying, will try and look into if is is something I can rig up.
it sounds a bit tricky in a tricky area though.

Thanks for considering this.

I suspect it can be gnarly, especially when one would want to show these new noparse tags themselves, e.g.

[noparse][noparse][/noparse][/noparse]

which would be rendered as

[noparse][/noparse]

Perhaps there is a entry point in the bbcode parser for some IF-THEN-ELSE logic to pull it off.
Ask Mr. Religion

Just checking in to see if any ideas have come to mind to make this happen.
Ask Mr. Religion

Checking in once more to follow up about this suggestion.
myff admin

Sorry it is not at all viable at the moment.
Ask Mr. Religion

Thanks for keeping this on the nice to do list someday.

Here is an example of why such a feature would be useful (see the mod note in the post):

http://rti.myfineforum.org/sutra23264.php#23264

Note that with some sort of [noparse] [/noparse] tag, there would be no need for me to twiddle with showing the actual spoiler codes with spaces after and before the brackets and adding commentary.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> PhpBB2 General Support
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum