Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
myff admin

Another new server, well sort of!

One of the minor ironies of our massive server expansion and our new dedicated ip subnet, is that we will soon be one "nameserver" short of a set   Basically nameservers are meant to be the resistant source of information about domain addresses and therefore good practice is to have them geographically separate.
One of the ways this is actually enforced is that they are not allowed to be on the same ip subnet.
We have three nameservers outside of the main subnet, but one of these will soon join the subnet leaving us one short.

So the plan is to rent some kind of virtual server in the USA, why the USA? Well that way we can kill two birds with one stone, we can both set up a nameserver and also a desktop running a browser set to masquerade as internet explorer. This desktop will give us much more ability to double check on what adverts people are seeing in the USA.

The trouble with adverts is that they can target by any criteria, e.g. if there are any bad advert feeds and they see me, they will see currently:

User Agent:Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.2pre) Gecko/20100303 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Namoroka/3.6.2pre

and run a mile. We need a system that look vulnerable.
myff admin

Doh, sometimes I miss the obvious when it is staring me in the face.

The offsite backup server, whilst not mega powerful does have the welly to run a desktop and so I am now seeing this forum with the US flag and pretending to be ie6.

I am also seeing some ads I don't want to see

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum