Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components
Monsieur-Folie

Advice Please.

PLEASE ENTER THE FOLLOWING>>>>

Enter your myff forum url here, if the issue is on a particular part of the forum, then give a link to where the problem actually is. Do not enter your own domain name it must be the actual myff link : http://thecreativeforums.myfastforum.org/index.php

If you are asking a template related question, what is the name of the template: AcidTechRed

Please indicate keywords you have searched on: Portal, Leaderboard, Points.

Now ask your question in clear English without "txt" speak>>>>

Hey, on The Creative Zone we recently implemented a new 'Points' system into our forum, where we reward users for certain actions such as posting new artwork or fan fiction, etc.

We did this by adding a new profile field called "POINTS" and then manually updating each members points. It's quite tedious, but the forum isn't that big, so that's not a huge problem.

What I want to do is to have a leaderboard, preferably a nice slim Portal that I can add to the left hand side of the forum, that shows the top say 5-10 members in terms of this new field "POINTS".

The closest I have come to achieving this is by messing around with the memberlist Portal until I had it just showing points, but this did not work out as I had planned and was not quite what I was looking for.

Is there a way to do this? It would ideally be like the "Top Poster" Portal, which fits nice an snugly down by the side of the forum, only it would be based on the profile field "POINTS" instead.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance,

- Folie.
myff admin

I can't deny it's a great idea, the problem is that the implementation of user profile fields makes sorting them into order very difficult
Monsieur-Folie

myff admin wrote:
I can't deny it's a great idea, the problem is that the implementation of user profile fields makes sorting them into order very difficult

So it can't be done at the moment then?  
Nick(NR)

Monsieur-Folie wrote:
myff admin wrote:

So it can't be done at the moment then?  

You'd have to do it manually for the time being, unless admin can find a way, I wonder if in the portals setting, for example you could select which xprofile field to show the info/value from, seeing as the points profile field will already have it's type set to number, maybe asc and desc could be fiddled in?

That is all simply an order of how I'd like to think it would be laid out, implementing on the other hand is another matter sadly, not that I wouldn't mind learning properly given the time.
Monsieur-Folie

So if I were to do it manually, I'd just have to put a table alongside the left where I would normally put a portal, and input all the values manually and then update them manually? The forum is relatively small so this would be possible, but it's a lot of continuous work and effort..

If Admin or indeed anybody can come up with an alternative way to do this I would be forever grateful!  

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum