Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> My Fried Forum
JohnB

Admin take over

We setup a club, the chairman wanted 2 admin for the forum, me and another.  Unfortunately the other admin created it so has the password, after several problems the chairman and myself want to remove then as admin but they refuse to step down.
I think I can remove their admin access but they hold the password that the site was created with so could in theory login to the control panel next week and delete the lot!

Is there any way we can sack the other admin and take control of the forum or do we have to risk it being deleted and start again?

In theory any setup details should have been given to the chairman upon creation but hindsight is not foreseeable.
myff admin

Under all normal rules the forum creator is the forum owner and hence cannot be removed unless absent.

There would need to be a very convincing case made that there is legal ownership elsewhere for this rule to be broken by us.

Are you a club with a constitution for example? something that makes the ownership clearly not an individuals?
JohnB

Agreed it would be an enormous thing to ask you as the rules are there for a very good reason.

Unfortunately we are new at all of this, the club is in the process of being setup and the forum has only been running for a few weeks. It's unfortunate that these situations develop but if we keep pushing then we fear that we risk losing the forum. We have created a replacement just in case but a lot of people have invested a lot of time posting all sorts of technical advice, in addition to the normal banter.

I suppose the other option is to email them and ask them to copy it to the new one but as soon as word gets out of this action the childish element in the other admin could see it all disappear.
JohnB

Update

The other admin has stepped down but because they used the first admin account as their own and still use the forum I have another problem.
I changed the name of the admin in the control panel to mine but it just changed the name of the previous admin?
Can the account not be swapped to my account or a new "Admin" account.

After the name on the previous admins account changed to mine I then used our control panel to change it back to theirs but it said the name was already in use?
myff admin

phpbb2 has an intractable bug that can leave some names locked out.

If you tell us the user id number of the new owner then we can set that up.

Look at the profile link for the number.
JohnB

The forum is landytown.myfastforum.org and the old admin was ID 2, the new admin needs to be ID 5 or we could create a new account called admin and have that as the main one so we don't et stuck like this again.
If you can help out or let us know what's best that would be great.
myff admin

id 5 has been given owner rights.
JohnB

Thanks a lot! And on a Sunday too!

Much apreciated - how do I change the control panel, do I just change the name in there under the Admin tab?
myff admin

All you should do in the control panel is change the password.
MrsM

I am the admin that JohnB refers to and was pushed out to undue bullying techniques and I want my forum I created back.......

You state admin with all due respect the following on your post

'Under all normal rules the forum creator is the forum owner and hence cannot be removed unless absent.
There would need to be a very convincing case made that there is legal ownership elsewhere for this rule to be broken by us'.

Neither of these were the case, severe bullying is what caused the password to be passed over and the members of this forum are not happy, including myself, who has now had her account deactivated from the site I created, with no access to my private pm's, saved messages etc etc how can this be fair?
http://landytown.myfastforum.org/

I have been in touch with JohnB - nickname on the site as Mal103, requesting my threads to be deleted, as I was the first person to post on the site and all information in there is mine by copyright law, this also has been refused and the information on the site remains and I do not even have a way to access this.

Your help would be very much appreciated, as my treatment has been extremely unfair.
myff admin

Sorry but ownership has been transferred irrevocably.

It is now months since all this took place.
MrsM

With much respect to yourself ownership was transferred without permission on here, I have since been seeking legal advice and I want my forum back please.  You were not made aware of all the facts surrounding this case before this was allowed to go ahead.

Many thanks once again for your help.
myff admin

Our position remains, the ownership was abandoned and a legitimate case for ownership transfer presented and acted on.

Your only course would be a legal challenge and hence I am locking this now as further not legal argument serves no purpose.
Zudane

MrsM wrote:
...as I was the first person to post on the site and all information in there is mine by copyright law...

As another note, to my understanding, any and all information posted to a community forum is considered to be the property of the forum as an entity, unless it is specifically stated otherwise.  Much like a letter to the editor for a newspaper - while the work is credited to you, it is property of the publication.
myff admin

Copyright remains with the poster, publication rights are what the forum has, that is not the same as ownership.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> My Fried Forum
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum