Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Web page/template Editing
Full Tilt Boogie

Adding Twitter & Blogger fields to profiles?

Enter your myff forum url here, if the issue is on a particular part of the forum, then give a link to where the problem actually is. Do not enter your own domain name it must be the actual myff link :

http://afunplacetobe.myfreeforum.org/index.php

If you are asking a template related question, what is the name of the template:
Please indicate keywords you have searched on:

http://howtodoit.myfreeforum.org/...component=content&topicid=709

Now ask your question in clear English without "txt" speak>>>>

Hi Symon,

I'm going to give this feature a shot - just one question - cosmetic too.

How much trouble/effort would it take to add Blogger & Twitter to this list?

Major arse pain, or pretty easy to knock up?

Thanks in advance.

FTB.
myff admin

to know how easy or how hard it is, one needs to know what the links to these services actually are.
Full Tilt Boogie

admin (no pm's please) wrote:
to know how easy or how hard it is, one needs to know what the links to these services actually are.

http://twitter.com/

http://www.blogger.com/
myff admin

that's not the link to peoples accounts which is what you are asking for.
Full Tilt Boogie

that's not the link to peoples accounts which is what you are asking for.

OK, so you need an example link to an example account to see how much work it entails?
Zudane

Twitter would be rather simple, it's just twitter.com/<username>

And then you'd just need to have the profile field for that, and reference the button to use twitter.com/<profile field value>

Of course it'd take more coding than that, but that's the general idea.

Blogger is just as easy, it's <username>.blogger.com  so the same idea, really.

I'm sure symon could whip up the code for that.
myff admin

Symon has already added a guide for similar. Adjusting to other links should be something anyone who has read that guide could do.
Full Tilt Boogie

Symon has already added a guide for similar. Adjusting to other links should be something anyone who has read that guide could do.

Please let's not revert to bad old days and ways of needless assumptions again Martin, not after we've made needful progress here: if these were tasks which could be done without reverting to asking for help and guidance here, then they would be.

Again, someone who does not involve themselves with the practice of coding on a day-to-day basis, and consequently doesn't have the skills or coding experience of someone who does (i.e. your team here) might still need support even after reading the guide - that's just a matter of fact.

Hence the question and request for help.

So, how do we do this?
myff admin

Let's also not get back into total spoon feeding, when people want to customise boards they do have to think.

As I see this, and as we have been discussing it, the only difference between twitter, blogger and anything Symon has written are that the names and the link are different.

You can surely change the names without having to read a guide where Symon has just changed the word "facebook" or whatever to "twitter".

So we are left with the actual link. If you write down Symons link code above a link you might have on Blogger, then either you should be able to work it out, or you should be left with a simple question.
Full Tilt Boogie

Let's also not get back into total spoon feeding, when people want to customise boards they do have to think.

And I have been doing, the proof's there on these very board, I do a lot on my board which I never raise here, so let's not get selective in our amnesia mate.

I repeat, I only ask questions here when there is an area I'm unsure of or haven't found a How To on the help forums (or if I think the How To needs further explanation for someone who's generally inexperienced in coding matters) - whereas you seem to think that anyone who's not as skilled as you is a pain in the arse. You're supposed to be running a support forum here - not a "sod off and stop bothering us" service.

Sorry to say it Martin, but whether you care to admit it or not mate, your 'customer support' attitude on occasion needs a lot of work. We've made serious progress here (at least Symon and I have) in recent weeks, and got a massive amount achieved in terms of enabling features and functionality on my board, and I'm very happy indeed with the amazing service & great patience he has offered someone like me, someone with nowhere near the same skills he has got - and yet you appear quite happy to go and tarnish that good will with your "customers are just an embuggerance" routine.

Admin wrote:
As I see this, and as we have been discussing it, the only difference between twitter, blogger and anything Symon has written are that the names and the link are different.

You can surely change the names without having to read a guide where Symon has just changed the word "facebook" or whatever to "twitter".

Well there's the images as well, but again, please don't assume ("you can surely change..."), and  please don't speak to me like a child - I'll repeat, I don't do this everyday of my life, or for a living, like you do (hence the question!) - how was I to know "that's all it takes"?

Admin wrote:
So we are left with the actual link. If you write down Symons link code above a link you might have on Blogger, then either you should be able to work it out, or you should be left with a simple question.

Now, if you'd taken this thread in the right frame of mind, and not "how can I get rid of this inconvenience without really addressing the requirement" (as you seem to have expended far more effort assuming things I "should know", then addressing a solution here), you'd have noticed that I did start this entire thread with a simple question - I'm a great fan of simplicity - especially where the answers to questions are both helpful and simple in response, and not some needless merry-go-round like this turning in to.

You market yourself on having the "moist comprehensive package [in this space] on the Web" - and to a large extent, I'd agree with that - but that has to extend to offering consistently friendly and customer-focussed support for it to carry any weight - you've got three excellent ambassadors for this product in Tony (Bravo), Symon & Nick - I and many others here are lucky in regularly receiving their patient 'how can we help?' attitude when asked for.

That customer approach, though, needs to be uniform and come from the guy who owns this web forum package, as he sets the tone of the place and the business.

It really should not have to be this hard Martin.
myff admin

As ever you'd rather extend effort on a rant, than on actually trying to get your problem resolved.
Full Tilt Boogie

As ever you'd rather extend effort on a rant, than on actually trying to get your problem resolved.

Look Martin, I'm sure that on some level, we both just want this sorted - I know I do - but when all I get from you is negativity and obstruction in stead of help to what are straightforward questions, what other options do I have?

I'd MUCH rather expend effort on receiving helpful answers to my simple questions,  and ones which didn't lead me to the conclusion that you can't be bothered - as the evidence suggests.

So yes, I'd like resolution to my questions - so please, how do we resolve this?
Zudane

You need to see that Symon already has the coding done, all you have to change is {facebook} to {twitter} change the field name to twitter, change the link to twitter.com/{twitter}

The guide is already done!  As admin said, you don't need to be spoon fed.  If you don't know coding, don't try to do it.  If you want to do coding, learn to code.  There are dozens of guides out to help.

The only difference is symon wrote a guide for how to bake a red apple pie, and you're asking how to bake a green apple pie.  Simple! substitution!
Bravo

Full Tilt Boogie wrote:
[FTB Rant (edited version)]

Come on now, by the time you'd written all that, you could have found the guide and had a look.  That's what admin is trying to do, help you to help yourself.

I'm gonna meet you half way and try find the guide that Admin is referring to, but you've got to read it, try to understand it, and implement it.  Then, if you have any problems or get stuck on something, you can ask a specific question, deal?

http://howtodoit.myfastforum.org/..._Xfire_Link_Buttons_about403.html

Have fun  Wink

[edit:  btw I didn't know this guide existed, yet I found it within 60 seconds of looking for it]
Full Tilt Boogie

Bravo wrote:
Full Tilt Boogie wrote:
[FTB Rant (edited version)]

Come on now, by the time you'd written all that, you could have found the guide and had a look.  That's what admin is trying to do, help you to help yourself.

I'm gonna meet you half way and try find the guide that Admin is referring to, but you've got to read it, try to understand it, and implement it.  Then, if you have any problems or get stuck on something, you can ask a specific question, deal?

http://howtodoit.myfastforum.org/..._Xfire_Link_Buttons_about403.html

Have fun  Wink

[edit:  btw I didn't know this guide existed, yet I found it within 60 seconds of looking for it]

Thanks Tony, I appreciate the help mate - if you check this thread, I put that link you've just posted in my first post here, as I'm currently enabling these features - although locating this link isn't the issue - it's the ancilliary questions around Twitter and Blogger which were the questions.

What I think some of you guys forget is, I've done more on my own, using the How To guides, without asking for any help or raising any questions here, than Admin will ever know - so when I do finally bring an issue here, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect or receive help. Him just being dismissive and sulking is getting really old. These threads would finish quicker, and with a far better customer orientated result if he'd just extend the right level of willing help when it's asked for.

I gotta say I'm getting pretty bored with coming here and feeling like I have to walk on egg shells, "hope" that Martin's in the right mood to want to help, and not have to run the gauntlet of whether he's simply not interested, as the kind of support you get here sometimes seems to be a bloody lottery.

And can we see if we can stop Zudane hijacking these threads too? That'd make these issues resolve themselves in a quicker manner too.

PS: part of my frustration is that anyone who has the temerity to disagree with you guys is simply assumed automatically to be in the wrong or 'ranting', which isn't the case. And this approach is enough to frustrate any thinking person.
Bravo

Well I feel sure Nick would be willing to add extra artwork for the other sites you mention in your original question (if not I'll do it of course, but Nick can keep the same style etc), and the extra links should be reasonably easy to add in.

Have you 'had a go' at adding another site yet?  Or were you just ascertaining the feasability?
myff admin

Zudane has accurately summarized the situation:

Quote:

The only difference is symon wrote a guide for how to bake a red apple pie, and you're asking how to bake a green apple pie.  Simple! substitution!

When we ask you to put some thought in, it is because it is within the abilities of anyone prepared to make an effort to make progress. As I have said the only thing here that might not be a matter of take the guide and write "orange" wherever it has "apple" is the link bit, and that itself really should be resolvable without joining MENSA, and I suggested you post those bits for help if need be.

You talk about treading on eggshells, well that is how I feel, which is why I rarely post in your threads. As soon as any replies says that you might need to make an effort, you are liable to go off on a rant.
Full Tilt Boogie

Zudane has accurately summarized the situation:

Quote:

When we ask you to put some thought in, it is because it is within the abilities of anyone prepared to make an effort to make progress. As I have said the only thing here that might not be a matter of take the guide and write "orange" wherever it has "apple" is the link bit, and that itself really should be resolvable without joining MENSA, and I suggested you post those bits for help if need be.

You talk about treading on eggshells, well that is how I feel, which is why I rarely post in your threads. As soon as any replies says that you might need to make an effort, you are liable to go off on a rant.

Martin mate, with respect, I'm not really inclined to go through this palaver with you any more - it's a pointless merry-go-round I think we'd both prefer we didn't have to ride, as it gets us nowhere apart from being pissed off and frustrated with each other - and we've both got better and more productive things we could be doing instead.

I'll deal with the other lads here if that's OK, as at least I know I stand a good chance of making some progress, and not end up in another circular debate about who should know what and why.

Fair?
Full Tilt Boogie

Bravo wrote:
Well I feel sure Nick would be willing to add extra artwork for the other sites you mention in your original question (if not I'll do it of course, but Nick can keep the same style etc), and the extra links should be reasonably easy to add in.

Have you 'had a go' at adding another site yet?  Or were you just ascertaining the feasibility?

I've gone through this entire How To, line by line, and burnt-in all the respective templates, links and images, their respective codes and positioning on the board - did that last night. At least I tried to.

It's not worked, as after my members putting their respective Facebook and MySpace details in their profiles, it doesn't work - (have a look at my profile on my board to see what I mean) we either get images which are fragged, MySpace buttons which take you nowhere when you hit them, or give you a 'Web Page Not Found' message, so I've got to go back and redo the entire thing again.

Believe me guys, I only ask questions once I've gone as far as I can or am completely out of my depth.
myff admin

and yet not a single screenshot or code snippet of what you have done...
Full Tilt Boogie

and yet not a single screenshot or code snippet of what you have done...

And that's because I've not yet asked you any questions here on how I'm going to try and resolve the problems, or where I think I might need help - and I won't bring those questions here until I've gone back and re-done the whole How TO thing again to see if the mistake is mine and whether I might be able to correct it on my own first without having to trouble you guys. You're always bleating about "do it yourself first" - and when I do, you're still not happy!

FFS Martin, sometime it looks like you just go looking for a ruck.

Back off and let me deal with guys with the right temperament and we might make progress here.
Bravo

Full Tilt Boogie wrote:
Bravo wrote:

Have you 'had a go' at adding another site yet?  Or were you just ascertaining the feasibility?

I've gone through this entire How To, line by line, and burnt-in all the respective templates, links and images, their respective codes and positioning on the board - did that last night. At least I tried to.

It's not worked, as after my members putting their respective Facebook and MySpace details in their profiles, it doesn't work - (have a look at my profile on my board to see what I mean) we either get images which are fragged, MySpace buttons which take you nowhere when you hit them, or give you a 'Web Page Not Found' message, so I've got to go back and redo the entire thing again.

Believe me guys, I only ask questions once I've gone as far as I can or am completely out of my depth.

Having looked at your profile, I see the 'facebook' image is thus:

Code:
http://afunplacetobe.myfreeforum.org/templates/myff_afunplacetobe1/images/templates/myff_afunplacetobe1/images/facebook.jpg

As you can see, it's somehow gone in twice, it should say,

Code:
http://afunplacetobe.myfreeforum.org/templates/myff_afunplacetobe1/images/facebook.jpg

which will give you this image:

The link you have given takes you to facebooks home page, you should try linking to your profile on there.
Full Tilt Boogie

Bravo wrote:
Full Tilt Boogie wrote:
Bravo wrote:

Having looked at your profile, I see the 'facebook' image is thus:

Code:
http://afunplacetobe.myfreeforum.org/templates/myff_afunplacetobe1/images/templates/myff_afunplacetobe1/images/facebook.jpg

As you can see, it's somehow gone in twice, it should say,

Code:
http://afunplacetobe.myfreeforum.org/templates/myff_afunplacetobe1/images/facebook.jpg

which will give you this image:

The link you have given takes you to facebooks home page, you should try linking to your profile on there.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for coming back! Here's an update of where we are after some more tweaking of my board - based on your input above, and another look at the How To guide.

Now I've applied the code/image fix you suggest above, and I now have both images (FB & MySp) present and correct in mine and other members' profiles (take a look at my board profile to see). But this still doesn't answer how - after I've been following the How To thread to the letter, line-by-line, I still had these issues of the image going in twice which you note above?!? Hopefully we can iron out those points here.

e.g. the How To says this:

How To wrote:

[b][b]Fill out the details as shown in the image.[/b] (Of course you can edit to suit your forum.) The Link And Image Link are given below.[/b]

Link

Code:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id={FACEBOOK}

Display as image

As long as you have uploaded the images above to your template then you can use the code below.

Code:
/templates/****/images/facebook.jpg

*** = the name of your template for example mine would be

Code:
/templates/myff_farnboroughinvincibles1/images/facebook.jpg

Now click submit

Now I followed these instructions to the letter, copied every last letter, character and symbol exactly as the How To said to do it - and yet still had problems?? I'm at a loss as to why that should be the case - but it does at least explain why I need to come here to get these things checked and verified.

Also - and again after having followed the How To line-by-line -, what I've discovered is that whilst pressing my own FB button in my site's profile now takes me to my own FB site profile, pressing the MySpace button in mine or ever other members' profile on my board only takes me here, to this URL instead: http://www.myspace.com/{MYSPACE}   and gives me this web page:

So there's obviously another check I need to do to see why, even when following the How To guide, this just isn't working - the confusing bit is this, that the How To says to put this very http://www.myspace.com/{MYSPACE} link into the link field of the Profile Field??

Now if these {MYSPACE} brackets (macros?) mean something I don't know about, I need to learn that sharpish, as they're going into my templates as is, without being changed - as per the How To - so if that's wrong, again, I need to know so I don't keep making that mistake.

One last point here - regardless of who's FB button you hit, in any one of my member's profiles - take Lady Xanadu, or Ian Burdon for instance - instead of taking you to their respective FB profiles/sites, it doesn't - it takes you instead to my FB homepage profile!??? Even when I'm logged out of FB, it takes me to the an FB log-in prompt homepage, and not their profiles??!

See THIS LINK for clarification on the subject. NB: I've since signed up for both FB and MySp since these posts were done.

Right, I'm going back for another look at the How To, to see if I've made any glaring or obvious errors - if I have, I'll try and correct them before coming back here with any more questions - but any comments you want to make on the above would be appreciated.

Cheers again,

FTB.
Zudane

Sorry to "hijack" this thread with the answers you're looking for, but make sure that the {MYSPACE} you have the URL looking for is identical to the name of the field it is looking in.  Basically, if you have the url as myspace.com/{MYSPACE} but the field name is {myspace} it might not work (I'm not 100% if the capitalization matters - but it wouldn't hurt).

Also check for typos, it's quite easy to miss, easiest way to avoid that is copy/paste from one to the other.

And if you want help with it, I'd suggest posting a screenshot so we can see what you have in there.  Because without seeing EXACTLY what you put in, we can't say what's going to come out.
symon

I dont know i go away for a few days and merry hell breaks loose. lol

the guide and codes can be adapted to most other sites but as admin has already said i would need a working link to a profile ......

Caps do matter in the macros , also it will not work until someone has added their id number or profile name on their profile .
Full Tilt Boogie

Cheers Symon,

I'm going take some time this afternoon to make sure I've applied info in the How To guide as best I can before bothering bringing any questions here - that way at least it'll allow us to narrow down where issues might lie.
symon

Full Tilt Boogie wrote:
Cheers Symon,

I'm going take some time this afternoon to make sure I've applied info in the How To guide as best I can before bothering bringing any questions here - that way at least it'll allow us to narrow down where issues might lie.

Ok i have looked at twitter  so following the facebook guide make these changes

1.Go to your forum's Administration Panel ----- 2. General --- Profile Fields

Now add FACEBOOK And click Add Custom Profile Field

********** change to TWITTER *****************

Change the link to

Code:
http://twitter.com/{TWITTER}

Now change all template edits in the guide from FACEBOOK to TWITTER and that should work ...

you will need to test this by adding a profile name in to someone profile page

twitter works on profile names so for example my test one

http://twitter.com/kezjarran
Nick(NR)

logo buttons incoming, sit tight.

went slightly off with these:

Full Tilt Boogie

Thanks both of you - Symon & Nick!

I'll hopefully be able to apply these later tonight when I'm back!

Just by the bay - to be honest, after I'd put in the bebo, Xfire & Steam profiles, I removed them almost immediately - as I'm sure you guys know, they've all now been overtaken by Facebook and MySpace, so are in effect (or in terms of market penetration at least) redundant.

I'll come back later with a progress update!

Cheers,

FTB.
Nick(NR)

twitter button got an update, the t logo in the box is much clearer now:

Full Tilt Boogie

Nick(NR) wrote:
twitter button got an update, the t logo in the box is much clearer now:

Spooky! I'm just in my Profile Field now creating a Twitter profile!

Cheers Nick!  
Full Tilt Boogie

OK, I'm guessing that my issues are down to precisely how I'm understanding, and why I'm using/inputting these {} symbols e.g.  {TWITTER}  ???

Where the How To guide says to put them in (and exactly what's between the macros brackets), then that's exactly what I'm doing, but when I do, I get screen shots like this  (cut and paste this - exactly as I've typed it here! - into a browser and you'll see what I mean)
[url]http://twitter.com/{TWITTER}[/url]  ??? Which just tells you that the page doesn't exist?!

I've just uploaded the Twitter image, and as you can see, it resides in my profile, no issue there - but I've put my Twitter link in the field in my profile and I get the same "page doesn't exist" message as above.

When I use my dummy/ordinary member profile to check these things, and hit the FB button in my profile, I just get taken to FB's log-in page, and not my profile.

When I try the MySpace button in my profile, I get this page doesn't exist.

When I try my Twitter button, I get the this page not known.

When I try any other members' FB link, I get taken to the FB log-in page and not their profile.

When I try any members' MySpace link, I just get taken to 'page does not exist'.

By all means, try my profile yourself so you can see what I mean, but I've now got to go back to the How To guide, again, and try and find out where the issues are as it's still not working.

Any pointers would be appreciated here, as I'm beginning to understand why this feature isn't more widely taken up by MyFF board owners. And I can see why - for thinking & able (but perhaps not hugely code/HTML literate) people - any claims of "it's easy if you follow the How To" are wide of the mark.  

Cheers,

FTB.
symon

Have you created the profile fields excatley with what you are putting in the macros ? eg

TWITTER = {TWITTER}

as of the facebook acounts you have to be loged in to be able to see peoples profiles, and if they have it on friends only search etc in their privacy settings on eith f/b myspace, etc you will just get rerouted to the login page.

remember that for each site you have to add different information in the profile box in your profile section.

for example twitter you enter username , but facebook you enter user id ,, and so on.
myff admin

I'm sorry but I have to say it again, where is the screenshot of the profile field set up or code snippet? We get a long post but no real clue as to what has been done and all the usual baggage as well.
Nick(NR)

I'm sorry but I have to say it again, where is the screenshot of the profile field set up or code snippet? We get a long post but no real clue as to what has been done and all the usual baggage as well.

tested and works: http://portalogy.myfastforum.org/about52.html

Settings for profile:
Full Tilt Boogie

Symon & Nick,

thanks for this - took the weekend off, so I'll check to see all is in order before reporting back with what works and what may not.

Thanks again guys.

FTB.
Full Tilt Boogie

OK, Symon, Nick & Tony, here's an update on where we are: ALL images appear to be visible in the members' profiles (where they have chosen to put them in - I've gone for all four images - Facebook, MySpace, Twitter & Blogger).

When board members hit any of the images (FB, MySp, Twitter etc) in another person's profile, they just get taken to the log-in page for that site (not the personal profile/homepage of the member) or get 'Page not found' - this happens whether or not the person they are seeking to view is logged-in to their respective FB/MySp/Twitter site or not. So there's still an issue.

Here's a screen-dump from how my MySpace Profile Field looks - as you can see, with the exception of 'Automatic Display' it follows the How To guide to the letter (NB: I changed Auto Display from 'No' to 'Yes' as the button image didn't/wouldn't display in my profile):

In the Link field, it reads:
Code:
http://www.myspace.com/{MYSPACE}

In the Display field it reads:
Code:
http://afunplacetobe.myfreeforum.org/templates/myff_afunplacetobe1/images/myspace.jpg

So, can you see any obvious issues from the above? I'll come on to the code for profile_view_body.tpl in a minute, let's just get a ya or nay on this if we could.

Please bear in mind my earlier comment that if I've misunderstood the significance of the macros brackets {}, and what needs to go in between them, then please make it clear what I've done wrong and what needs correcting. Likewise, If I've left anything out which needs to go in there, shout up!

Cheers,

FTB.

PS: my first time using MS Paint too, so apologies if this image needed cropping to fit the post - another skill I need to learn and will get round in the fullness of time.
symon

The first thing to remember as i stated before is the user that clicks on the picture links must have say a facebook account and must be signed in.

Also you will nee to let us know the data they are putting in the profile field in their profile for the links that come back page not found.

For example where it will say facebook in their edit profile screen what info are they putting in eg username , userid number etc etc
Full Tilt Boogie

symon wrote:
The first thing to remember as i stated before is the user that clicks on the picture links must have say a facebook account and must be signed in.

And this is the concern - I'm logged into all four of the accounts listed, and when I try and access them from another PC and user account, I can only get as far as the log-in page for FB - the other three just take me to 'Page not found'.

Quote:
Also you will nee to let us know the data they are putting in the profile field in their profile for the links that come back page not found.

They are putting in precisely what the How To says to put in.

Quote:
For example where it will say facebook in their edit profile screen what info are they putting in eg username , userid number etc etc

As above.

Can you see any immediate or obvious problem with the post with the screen dump in it Symon? If there is a problem there, then it's possible it's re-created in the other three, which may tell us where to start.

If it's OK, then we can move on to other parts of the process.
myff admin

Typical error obvious from the screenshot. Things are case sensitive. MySpace is not MYSPACE
Full Tilt Boogie

Typical error obvious from the screenshot. Things are case sensitive. MySpace is not MYSPACE

With respect, neither is it the How To, which I followed.

In your How To example, Facebook is rendered 'FaceBook' in the Display Title, and {FACEBOOK} between the macros. I followed the How To - seeing as you'd used two capital letters (F & B), I assumed it would be OK the use MySpace similarly.

So what you're saying is have it all lower case, or all upper case? Is that correct? Even in the Title Display?
symon

Tested facebook , whilst logged into face book it takes me to the persons profile , whilst logged out it takes me to their search page, remember if they have NOT clicked list me on public search, in the privacy settings on their f/b account, then  they will not show and it will redirect to the home page.

Link whilst logged out will come back like this

http://en-gb.facebook.com/people/Symon-Field/1739602514
symon

Full Tilt Boogie wrote:

You are misread the screen shot im afraid .

The Field name controls the macros and must be in uppercase.  So if you entered FACEBOOK the macros must be {FACEBOOK}

The Displayed title can be anything you wish it to be upper or lower, the displayed name is just how it will show on your profile .
myff admin

the Guide says add FACEBOOK all upper case.

and with respect I have been asking till I'm blue in the face for the screenshot.
Full Tilt Boogie

and with respect I have been asking till I'm blue in the face for the screenshot.

I'm going to carry on working with Symon Martin, as you just look like you're spoiling for another pointless ruck.

But, for the record - here's the How To guide:

How To wrote:
Fill out the details as shown in the image. (Of course you can edit to suit your forum.) The Link And Image Link are given below.

As you can see from the screen dump of the image in the link, the Display Title is rendered: 'FaceBook' (not FACEBOOK), which was my point.

Now if you don't mind, I'll get back trying to achieve something with Symon and avoid yet nother pointless pissing contest with you.
symon

symon wrote:
Full Tilt Boogie wrote:

The Field name controls the macros and must be in uppercase.  So if you entered FACEBOOK the macros must be {FACEBOOK}

The Displayed title can be anything you wish it to be upper or lower, the displayed name is just how it will show on your profile .
symon

All tested and all works click the buttons on this page

http://testsite2.myfineforum.org/sutra1.php#1
Full Tilt Boogie

symon wrote:
Full Tilt Boogie wrote:

I've not misread anything Sy - I did exactly as the image in the How To told me to do, my macro is written {FACEBOOK} - whilst my Title Display is written 'Facebook'.

So, if I understand you correctly - what (and how it) is written as the name of my Profile Field must be exactly the same as it appears between the macros?

e.g. If I've named the Profile Field Facebook, then it must appear like this {Facebook} in the link section, and not {FACEBOOK}, right?
symon

Yes correct.
Full Tilt Boogie

symon wrote:
Yes correct.

OK, please have a test for my Symon - using all the log-ins I PM'd you, and now having gone and set all Title Displays, everything thing between the macro brackets, and the four Field names to capital letters (e.g. MYSPACE, BLOGGER, TWITTER etc.) please got to my profile and see if by hitting them, you get take to my respective profiles - I'm logged into to all of them currently.

with the exception of Facebook, I can't get any of them to work.
symon

Full Tilt Boogie wrote:
symon wrote:
Yes correct.

OK, please have a test for my Symon - using all the log-ins I PM'd you, and now having gone and set all Title Displays, everything thing between the macro brackets, and the four Field names to capital letters (e.g. MYSPACE, BLOGGER, TWITTER etc.) please got to my profile and see if by hitting them, you get take to my respective profiles - I'm logged into to all of them currently.

with the exception of Facebook, I can't get any of them to work.

Im getting this when i click your myspace link

http://www.myspace.com/http://www.myspace.com/full_tilt_boogie

which tells me that you are entering

http://www.myspace.com/full_tilt_boogie

in the profile field in your profile , where you should be just entering

full_tilt_boogie
Full Tilt Boogie

Oy Vay!

Cheers - got MySpace and Twitter sorted - what section of the Blogger profile do I use?

All I'm getting for the Blogger is "Not Found Error 404" ??

Any ideas?
myff admin

Full Tilt Boogie wrote:

I'm going to carry on working with Symon Martin, as you just look like you're spoiling for another pointless ruck.

There is nothing pointless in making the point that a lot of time has been wasted for everyone because of your refusal to post the key item of information that was needed. Nick and Symon have generously tried to help regardless but you have wasted their time and your own.
symon

Full Tilt Boogie wrote:
Oy Vay!

Cheers - got MySpace and Twitter sorted - what section of the Blogger profile do I use?

All I'm getting for the Blogger is "Not Found Error 404" ??

Any ideas?

Blooger works different as the name of th euser comes first rather than last .

For example

http://eunoiafulltiltboogie.blogspot.com/

So a working link would be

http://{BLOGGER}.blogspot.com/

So looking at how it works

{BLOGGER} will add what ever info you add in your profile field on your profile ,,

So

http://{BLOGGER}.blogspot.com/  means nothing until you add details in your profile

so by adding

eunoiafulltiltboogie

http://{BLOGGER}.blogspot.com/   becomes  http://eunoiafulltiltboogie.blogspot.com/

Working if you click the steam button on here

http://testsite2.myfineforum.org/sutra1.php#1
Full Tilt Boogie

Full Tilt Boogie wrote:

There is nothing pointless in making the point that a lot of time has been wasted for everyone because of your refusal to post the key item of information that was needed. Nick and Symon have generously tried to help regardless but you have wasted their time and your own.

Martin, just as time spent learning a more customer-orientated approach to your customers is never time wasted, neither is time spent me learning new and useful skills from others here on these support forums. I'm guessing that's why you provide them - so that those who've chosen to use your offering can receive help where and when they might need it?

I am at least prepared to admit where I need the help and not go looking for rucks which benefit no one.

Please mate, let it go - we're making great progress all on fronts here, with the exception of these needless and pointless exchanges between you and me.
Full Tilt Boogie

Thanks Symon, it works!

So Blogger's method obviously different to the format to the others on the How To - at least we found that out and were able to come up with a working solution (at least you were!).

Right just got figure out how to place these as 'Option C', i.e. so that they appear in post, alongside PM, Profile, Email etc.

I'll have a go first and come back with any brick walls I hit.

Thanks again for the patience - I've certainly learnt from it!

FTB.
symon

I have deleted the last few posts, please keep all post relevant to the topic,

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Web page/template Editing
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum