Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components
prof

Action portal query

Forum: http://landytown.myfunforum.org/ (phpbb2)

Managed to setup the action portal previously to send a welcome PM to new registrants, we now have another requirement which we don't appear to be able to make work. Searched portal setup in here and how-to-do-it to no avail.

We'd like to be able to tag forum users such that when they start or respond to a topic, a group of people are sent a PM.

So far we've created an xprofile field (hidden and admin only), setup a filter which looks for this profile field = yes.

We've setup a group for the users we want to receive the PM and setup the action portal as follows:

In this instance all forum admins receive a PM.

Changing it to the following no longer sends a PM to the group members. The "monitors" group contains 2 of our 4 admin users.

Note: The filter works a treat  

Can you shed any light of what we might have done wrong please ?

Many thanks
myff admin

Very nice to see this being used imaginatively.

What you have looks right and it may be a bug in the system stopping it working.

You could set debug on the action and make a post as a moderated user and see what the debug says.

Myself I will try and duplicate the issue in the morning.
BusyBee

This is what the debug mode says (we do work on the same forum  Wink )

Quote:

Enter ProcessAction

MatchAction LT_ModeratedUser replyself

MatchAction enabled1

MatchAction triggerforums1

MatchAction triggerlevel0

MatchAction trigger0 mode replyself

MatchAction check trigger0 mode replyself

MatchAction who6

Matched

Enter PerformAction

PerformAction LT_ModeratedUser on 0 users

PerformActionMessages LT_ModeratedUser on 0 users

1)Send pms
2)Send pms 18
3)Send pms 18
Done PerformActionMessages 1LT_ModeratedUser on 0 users

1)Send pms
2)Send pms 0
Done PerformActionMessages 2LT_ModeratedUser on 0 users

Exit PerformAction

Exit ProcessAction
myff admin

Well on consideration, there is an issue here.

Target member is a filter, filters look at who was involved in an action, and are used to filter based on the people involved in an action.

As such it is a bit confusing what is meant to happen.

There is also a strong case that you should simply be able to select the group you want to send a PM to in the PM dialogue to save such confusion.

However and perhaps more to the point the code was buggy anyway and would not pick up the group members targeted.

That bug is now fixed.
prof

myff admin wrote:
Well on consideration, there is an issue here.
Target member is a filter, filters look at who was involved in an action, and are used to filter based on the people involved in an action.
As such it is a bit confusing what is meant to happen.
There is also a strong case that you should simply be able to select the group you want to send a PM to in the PM dialogue to save such confusion.

I have to admit that the purpose of each of the fields is confusing  

Quote:
However and perhaps more to the point the code was buggy anyway and would not pick up the group members targeted.
That bug is now fixed.

Excellent, off to test , many thanks

prof

Happy to report that testing has been successful  
myff admin

Very pleased and as I said before very pleased to see someone both using the ACTION portal to imaginative ends and bug reporting in a fashion that made it a pleasure to help as the information was shown that I needed.
prof

Thanks for the praise, having been a software developer myself I am very aware of what's needed to get to a problem quickly.

One more question if I may, are there macro fields to indicate the forum name or better still thread title we could use to enhance the private message being sent ?

Many thanks again
Greg
myff admin

No forum macros currently.

But I will have a bash soon. Won't be today I'm afraid.
prof

No worries, no rush.
myff admin

FORUM_FORUM_NAME FORUM_FORUM_DESC FORUM_FORUM_POSTS FORUM_FORUM_TOPICS

TOPIC_TOPIC_TITLE topic_TOPIC_POSTER TOPIC_TOPIC_VIEWS TOPIC_TOPIC_REPLIES

POST_POST_USERNAME

macros are now available.
Ask Mr. Religion

myff admin wrote:
FORUM_FORUM_NAME FORUM_FORUM_DESC FORUM_FORUM_POSTS FORUM_FORUM_TOPICS

TOPIC_TOPIC_TITLE topic_TOPIC_POSTER TOPIC_TOPIC_VIEWS TOPIC_TOPIC_REPLIES

POST_POST_USERNAME

macros are now available.
Not sure how these macros are separated. The underscoring _yada seems to render them as a jumble of what should be separated macro names.

AMR
myff admin

Space is the separator.
BusyBee

So much for not for today then!!  Wink

Thank you very much, I will go and add a couple of them to the PMs sent by the Portal.
BusyBee

Sorry to be a bother, but it has stopped working.  

Earlier on, I added the macros {FORUM_FORUM_NAME} and {TOPIC_TOPIC_TITLE} to the PM and it then came back with an error "Internal Error". So I removed them to make sure it wasn't just a typo and it still crashed.

I then went onto the other forum (which hadn't been modifed with FORUM and TOPIC macros yet) - we have 2 fori: one "live" and a "play" one to test out modifications - and it crashed too.

This is the log produced with or without FORUM and TOPIC macros added:
Quote:
Enter ProcessAction

MatchAction LT_ModeratedUser replyself

MatchAction enabled1

MatchAction triggerforums1

MatchAction triggerlevel0

MatchAction trigger 0 mode replyself

MatchAction check trigger0 mode replyself

MatchAction who 6

MatchAction SUCCESS LT_ModeratedUser

Matched

Enter PerformAction LT_ModeratedUser 6

PerformAction LT_ModeratedUser on 1 users
FilterActionCommands LT_ModeratedUser 6
unfiltered

PerformActionCommands LT_ModeratedUser frogAdmin

PerformActionCommands1 -1 on frogAdmin
PerformActionMessages LT_ModeratedUser on 1 users

1)Send pms
2)Send pms 18
3)Send pms 18

We do not have any problem posting when users are not "moderated" and the portal is not used.

We also noticed when it was working that although we were receiving PMs, we were not getting the emails notifying of a new PM as per normal (I really hope this makes sense!!).

Many thanks for your help.  
myff admin

Yep it was a bug.

Try again in a few minutes, I'm deploying the fixed code.
BusyBee

myff admin wrote:
Yep it was a bug.

In my coding days, we used to say they were not bugs... just a slight change from the design or added functionality  Wink

That's brilliantly working now! Got the forum and the thread title added and makes it much easier for us to find the posts to check out.

The "Notify on new Private Message" set to yes doesn't seem to affect those PMs though so we don't receive the notifying emails. It would be nice to have, but we're already quite pleased with what has been achieved in so little time.

Thank you so much for all your work, it's going to be of great help and allow us to take action much faster when trouble-makers try it on  
myff admin

The email were clearly not coded to be sent they are now.

Code deployment takes a few minutes.
BusyBee

Well Mr Myff Admin, I can only say thanks again for all your hard work! It is all greatly appreciated!

All working now!  
prof

Just a quick note to add that if you wish this to remain "stealth" from forum users, I'd advise setting the "First PM" field to "* To Target Member from first admin".

Simply setting it to "* To target member" leaves a PM in the moderated users' sent box which can make them aware that PM's are being sent on their behalf, including contents of such PMs...  

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum