Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components
prof

Action portal - PM on registration help

PLEASE ENTER THE FOLLOWING>>>>

Enter your myff forum url here, if the issue is on a particular part of the forum, then give a link to where the problem actually is. Do not enter your own domain name it must be the actual myff link :

http://myworkshop.myfastforum.org

If you are asking a template related question, what is the name of the template:

Not applicable

Please indicate keywords you have searched on:

Portal action, searched in support forums, looked through all 14 pages of portal threads here, looked at howtodoit too.

Now ask your question in clear English without "txt" speak>>>>

Ok, the forum mentionned above is a test forum where I play before promoting changes to live hence it's not very busy.
I want to send a PM to every newly registered member and after various attempts at setting this up through 3. Styles - Portal Settings, then ACTIONS, I am either able to register as a new user but don't get a PM, or registering results in a blank page, no message to indicate I should wait for an email or anything. On firefox I receive an error as follows in the worst case : "Content Encoding Error The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression."

This last error occurs now with the portal settings as they are.

Can you help/explain ?

Many thanks
Greg
myff admin

I'm sure we will work though this.

But we will need screenshots of the portal settings you are using.

The content encoding error is usually a sure sign that an error is being output which might give a clue but is being mangled by the page being "zipped".

I have turned off zipping to see if that tells us more about what is going on.
prof

Seems turning zipping off had made the registration process work in IE and FF, but I am still not getting a PM.

I thought you'd dive right in and have a look hence no screenshots - apologies. Here it is.

myff admin

Two suggestions.

1) Remove the space in the action name "first pm".
2) Select display then exit in the debug mode and see what it says?
prof

1. Removing spaces has definitely made a difference, I now get debug output, I didn't when I tried earlier.
2. Debug output below, seems to be an issue with the right to send a PM ?

Enter ProcessAction
MatchAction FirstPM register
MatchAction enabled1
MatchAction triggerforums1
MatchAction triggerlevel0
MatchAction trigger5 mode register
MatchAction check trigger5 mode register
MatchAction who3
Matched
Enter PerformAction
PerformAction FirstPM on 1 users
FilterActionCommands FirstPM 4
unfiltered
PerformActionCommands FirstPM greg
PerformActionCommands1 -1 on greg
PerformActionMessages FirstPM on 1 users
1)Send pms
2)Send pms 7
3)Send pms 7You cannot send a PM
Done PerformActionMessages 1FirstPM on 1 users
1)Send pms
2)Send pms 0
Done PerformActionMessages 2FirstPM on 1 users
Exit PerformAction
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
MatchAction REPORT register
MatchAction enabled1
MatchAction triggerforums1
MatchAction triggerlevel0
MatchAction trigger6 mode register
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Enter ProcessAction
Not Matched
Exit ProcessAction
Exit ProcessActions
myff admin

Use the "*" entry in the PM list.

The user is in the process of registering and so despite the fact the pm is meant to be from an admin, it it probably looking at guest permissions.
prof

Perfect, sorted        Thank you very much    

Below is a picture of the final settings for future reference should anyone need it.
Bravo

Nice work, and thanks for the final screenshot prof, very helpful.  I changed the title of the topic to help future searchers
myff admin

Indeed a very good case of someone following through support requests and getting a quick result to a complex question.

As a result of this issue, the error handling in registration has been altered to hopefully avoid the horrible "invalid or unsupported form of compression" issue.

As such this one should be easier in future.
prof

Thanks for the positive feedback and help guys  
prof

And when you thought it was over...

Can I add a profile field to my PM, like the new user's username ?
I've tried the following in the PM message but it doesn't appear to work.

Hi {L_USERNAME},

Welcome to your forum, we look forward to your contributions.

The admin team.

The resulting PM contains {L_USERNAME}, not the substituted value. Can they only be used in templates ?

Thanks in advance.
myff admin

You just need the right macros

{TRIGGER_USERNAME}

{TARGET_USERNAME}
prof

Mmm, neither appears to work.
I've taken them off for now.
myff admin

my apologies:

is is {ACTION_TRIGGER_USERNAME} {ACTION_TARGET_USERNAME}

where ACTION should be replaced by your action name in uppercase.
prof

admin (no pm's please) wrote:
my apologies:

Apology accepted, you're only human after all (I think )

is is {ACTION_TRIGGER_USERNAME} {ACTION_TARGET_USERNAME}
where ACTION should be replaced by your action name in uppercase.

This works perfectly. Just to clarify for others who may need this, "action name" is what appears at the very top of the form (ACTIONS in my case), not the name of the individual action you're configuring which would be "FirstPM" in my example above.
Bradbury

Portal Action Message format

PLEASE ENTER THE FOLLOWING>>>>

Enter your myff forum url here, if the issue is on a particular part of the forum, then give a link to where the problem actually is. Do not enter your own domain name it must be the actual myff link : http://rescueremedies.myfastforum.org/

Hi there

Firstly, tks to Prof for the screenshots - helped me a lot.

Apologies for this really simple question, but when typing the actual message itself, what do code do I need to enter between paragraphs to enforce paragraph space please? Have tried \n\r to no avail.

Appreciate your help.
myff admin

<br /> or <p></p>
Bradbury

Will try that, thank you  
Bradbury

Unfortunately that didn't work. Has anyone got a welcome message set up with more than one paragraph that can tell me what the code is to force a paragraph space please? Appreciate your help.
myff admin

My own welcome just uses blank lines for paragraphs, no attempt to encode the line breaks at all.
Nick(NR)

My own welcome just uses blank lines for paragraphs, no attempt to encode the line breaks at all.

I thought containers need content to show on a page, so you'd need:

<p>&nbsp;</p>

the other option is slightly sneaky method:

<div style="height:30px;">&nbsp;</div>

Have a play here:
http://www.w3schools.com/css/tryi...lename=trycss_background-position

add this bit below to show the gap between the text:
Random Text
<div style="height:30px;background-color:#000;">&nbsp;</div>
Random Text

the background color and text is just there to give you an idea of the gap, use the sample in red for what you want, the height can be altered as you see fit.
Dean

Instead of using this:

* To Target member from first admin

Is there any way to have something like this as an option:

* To Target member from second admin

The ID # is 2 for the first admin and 3 for the second (me).

I have renamed my first admin to "editor" and I only use it for editing the board templates.

TIA

Dean
myff admin

It may be better to have a portal that states who the admin is for PM purposes.

needs a bit of thinking about.
Dean

It is very obvious that I am the only admin on my board, since all the Stickies and the one Global Announcement is by me. There's never been any question about it from any members. I can auto send PMs to newly registering members from "editor", but, I can ask them to contact me and give them my PM and email, but, was wanting to see if it is just a matter of using the ID #3 instead of ID # 2 in this ACTIONS feature. Is that something that can be added or is there a work around? Just need to know before I continue further in this. I wish there was a way to just auto send an email to all new registering members, aside from the one they already get about activation.

Thanks.

Dean
Dean

BTW... since many people block pop up messages, is there a way to edit the template to open a new window instead? I want all new members to get this PM.

In the profile it states:

Pop up window on new Private Message
Some templates may open a new window to inform you when new private messages arrive.

TIA
myff admin

Keep it to one support question per thread, if you have another question start a new topic. This will help others using "search" to find answers.
Dean

Understand.

Is there a good place to post the question on pop up windows?

Dean
Dean

Is there a way to add other Actions to this Action that sends PM upon registration?

I see Command 1, 2, and 3

Can I set these in this same action?

I want to disallow posts and PMs for new members until they respond to the PM.

I searched and searched and could not find anything on this.

I also have tried to get that to work but it is not.

TIA
myff admin

Each action should run the commands associated with it. e.g. up to free commands.

Setting debug should show this in action.
Dean

It is not showing it when debug is on. It says Safari cannot show the page. With debug off it is not working.

The only thing I changed was the Command 1 I set to disallow replies.

Is there something more I need to do?
Dean

Along with auto sending the PM to registering members, I would like to disallow them from posting after they register. Is there a way to do that using the same Action?

I've been trying different ways of doing it and searching and searching for answers, but, no such luck.

If I could just auto send an email to them, I could keep them disabled until they replied to the email.

Sure hope there is someway to do this.

Please help.

Thanks.
myff admin

There is no way to prevent registered members being able to post in standard forums, that is the point of being registered, if you want to talk to people when they join then set admin activation.
Dean

So, what are these Command 1, 2, 3 that have options of "disallow replies" ,etc. ?
myff admin

Fair enough they are there, it is late here  

So what setting have you got? Post a screenshot. Does debug show the operations doing anything.
Dean

In the Moderation portal setting, it is possible to set all new users with the:

Users posts will be moderated turned on.

Is there any way to add an option to the Moderation portal that would allow these to be set to no:

Can post replies Yes     No
Can post new topics Yes     No

That would accomplish the same thing.

I'll wait for your reply and go get a screen shot of the Action portal I have setup, which is working great with sending PMs.

Dean
Dean

Dean

So, I have tried to set those three Command 1, 2, and 3 drop downs to be "disallow replies", "disallow new topics", "disallow PMs". I've tried just one at a time. They just won't work.

But, like I said, it would probably be easier to just set the Moderation portal to what I suggested above, if that was an option in there.

Of course, the easiest way would simply be to have a way to auto send emails to registering members before activating them. Wish that were possible.

Dean
myff admin

You are persisting in trying to run two topics in a single thread

What is needed is the debug output on registration, though I think the problem may be resolved.

A screenshot where you are not even trying to run the command is about as useful as it sounds.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum