Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Off Topic
symon

10 Years of Myfreeforum

2015 marks the 10th anniversary of Myfreeforum.

Around July 10 years ago the support forum was opened.

The early days were manic for Admin, as he had to do almost everything himself, for example if you wanted a logo changed you had to request it and so on.

Only Admin was here to answer questions and give advice etc..

Then along came the mods around the end of the year to give Admin a lending hand.

I have enjoyed being around for the last 10 years and would like to say a huge thank you to Admin for all the hard work that he has done in the last 10 years, also a massive thanks to my fellow mods some of whom are no longer with us for all their hard work .

So happy Anniversary Myfreeforum, here is to the next 10 years.
myff admin

Thanks for that, the actual anniversary is May 26th I believe, and it really would not have worked so well without Symon, Bravo and the other mods.

It all started in the space of about a week from idea to going live, after I tried to give a little bit of support to someone on another free forums system. I rapidly realized that free forums systems had an appalling record on support, technology and ethics, and hence there was a clear opportunity to do better.

A lot was manual at first, as it was important to be live, and important to start developing better tech than the rival systems of the time. This grew into the decision to make myff a system that aimed at letting people customize things as much as was feasible within the confines of a free system, again something that has benefited greatly from people especially the mods offering support to people who wanted to take that ability to customize and run with it, and I think between us we have taught a lot of people a lot about html and programming

As many will know in the last few years the forums have had to be on the back burner in terms of my efforts, because as a result of the forums I have ended up helping to build another company Switch Concepts from basically a few people in a barn on a farm to a company employing about 140 people and scoring #2 in the Sunday Time Tech Track 100 for two years running.

This is still a challenge, but I'm hoping this year to be able to get the forums to a state ready for another 10 years. I still sincerely believe the forums owned and run by responsible owners and their moderating teams can provide far more useful and cohesive environments than facebook, my own "downsizer" forums have many stories of marriages, businesses and other life changing events that have come out of that community
Bravo

myff admin wrote:
I still sincerely believe the forums owned and run by responsible owners and their moderating teams can provide far more useful and cohesive environments than facebook, my own "downsizer" forums have many stories of marriages, businesses and other life changing events that have come out of that community

I agree, but I do feel a bit of a modernisation process is needed to achieve that. If there was a forum 'app' that was up to date with the modern 'device' culture I think people would leave such as facebook in droves. The concept of mutual interest discussion groups is largely untouched these days except by people still using forums. If smartphones, tablets, smart TV's etc were more able to quickly and easily share photos, videos etc and provide an easy to use platform to enable the discussions too (as well as customisation) I think it would be huge.
myff admin

It would be a tempting proposition to start from an almost zero base, and create a new type of forum with apps to match.

I would do something in someways a lot less customisable than myff, forums that were skinnable rather than template editing.

But something with a more social media type experience in terms of permissions. A key point would be to try and make it simpler than phpbb2 for an owner.
Gosu71

There is a forum App on Google Play Store called Tapatalk which is for the mobile phone experience

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Off Topic
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum