FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Who is OnlineWho is Online   Join! (free) Join! (free)  
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  • Welcome

Importing an exported myfreeforum to your own system.
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> PhpBB2 General Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

Add Karma

rated by members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
Posted:     Post subject:

myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 92010

Add Karma

rated by 282 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Importing an exported myfreeforum to your own system.  Reply with quote

If you do buy a forum export to leave the system, you are going to need some basic expertise with mysql databases, and preferably have a tool like phpmyadmin on your system.

The procedure we recommend is.

1) Create a working blank phpbb2 forum, with the table prefix phpbb_ (this is the default)

2) Make a copy of the export file, removing the table defintions and data for the tables phpbb_themes, phpbb_themes_name. These tables contain stuff that will come a cropper if you have installed myfreeforum templates.

3)Also elminate phpbb_config from the export file. But take a note of a few entries here like record_online and board_startdate. You may want to edit these values in later with phpmyadmin.

4) Now import the export file, you may need to zip it first to beat phpmyadmin size limits. These are typically 2Mb. If your file is larger than this when zipped, then you will either have to import from a command line shell using mysql, or you will have to split the file. Take care about syntax, you cannot just split the file at arbitary lines.

5) If the import gives errors, it may be that phpmyadmin/mysql is taking exception to the character encoding definitions for tables or the table storage type. These are defined after the "}" in the table definition and can be removed.

Now in theory your forum should work. You may have issues with user styles if you have not been overiding the userstyle for the forum, but these should pretty much sort themselves out.

Family Friendly Shareware | | Web Design/Services | Free Forums

Last edited by myff admin on Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Renegade

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I imported our export from yourselves today onto PHPNuke 7.9 without too many problems. In total it took about 2 hours which was a full test on a dummy site first. Only tools I used were PHPMyAdmin and wordpad.

The site can be found here as proof www.shol.co.uk

Thanks for the great service you have given us over the time you hosted our forum and the quick responses in sorting the export out.

Ren.
Ari

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree the process was quick, painless and the very quick redirect also perfect.

Much appreciated !
neilf79

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Exporting to SQL Server Reply with quote

Hi.

Is there any way to import the exported data to MS SQL Server? I'd like to merge our forums with our main site, but we currently use MS SQL Server for our database, and I'm reluctant to support MySQL as well. Is the exported data MySQL specific, or could it easily be imported into SQL Server too? If so, how would the process vary?

Also, will there be any parts of my forum that won't be exported?

Thanks.

Neil.
myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 282 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since phpbb can use mssql then it should be okay, note I say "should" advisedly. The export is a mysql dump which may well have significant syntax differences to mssql. e.g. it would certainly be possible to do an import, but I have no idea of how much work might be needed. Conceivably as an sql dump is meant to be a reasonably compatible format it would be easy.

A dump consists of all the database information, plus on request we will send avatar files. Between the dump and the avatars then all that is missing is some myfreeforum addons which obviously you would have to expect to lose.

angelas1970

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Exporting from MYFF phpbb to an SMF Reply with quote

Would you please tell me if it is possible to export MYFF to a SMF based forum? We http://paperwings.myfreeforum.org/ are planning to move and would like to take our database with us. However none of us have been able to find a definitive answer as to whether the two are compatible with each other.

Also how does it work? Meaning are we sent a link or a zip or something of the copy of the database?

Your assistance is very much appreciated!
Oh and yes we realize we must pay for this feature.
myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 282 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can really say is that you will get a phpbb2 compatible sql dump.

Most forums systems have some means of importing from phpbb2, either written by the forum coders or third parties. But I know nothing about SMF and whether they have such a utility and since no one has mentioned going this route in the past, I could not vouch for any such utility if it does exist.

Sorry to sound negative

angelas1970

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no need to apologize, certainly you shouldn't be expected to know everything! Guess we will have to continue our reasearch on the matter. Thank you for your reply though.
Daniel(u1bd2005)
Teacher
Teacher
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 4350

Add Karma

rated by 6 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never even heard of SMF before but i just did a bit of looking about and this may be of help if you haven't allready looked.

http://www.simplemachines.org/download/?converters
myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 282 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a phpbb2 converter there, which really should mean that a competent software engineer would be able to bend it to make it work if it does not work out of the box.

Makes me wonder if we should offer a fixed price deal on doing this sort of thing, we could set it to correspond to say 3 hours work on the assumption that it would typically take about 1.5 hours, but we would give the commitment to get the job done if at all possible or your money back.

Pete8497

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey! I really need help. I kind-of understand some of that but I just don't get how you start your own site. Like do I need to pay money for a server or something? I just want to import a file to my own server hosted by me but I just don't understand how to start up a site and then import. Please explain in depth. Im a real noob at this stuff. And I want to do it so don't just say oh you won't know how to do it because you don't know anything. I am really determined and I promise you I will figure it out sometime. I just need a little guidance. THANKS!

Oh and the part I don't understand is when you said this. Could you also explain this part better?:

Quote:
1) Create a working blank phpbb2 forum, with the table prefix phpbb_ (this is the default)

sgts
Teacher
Teacher

Add Karma

rated by 2 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete8497 wrote:
Oh and the part I don't understand is when you said this. Could you also explain this part better?:

Quote:

Well young Pete, if you don't understand the instructions above you are way out of your league here. Admin has the skills you need and it has taken him some time to build them up. Walk before you run... do as you have been advised, leave your forum here and make sure you have the skills required. Why not make a clone of your forum on you friend's server then play with it. Once you have the skills to do what you need to be able to do, then get an export of your forum.

| Royal Marines Online | Royal Marines Forum |
Quick look busy, admin is coming
drazen
Apprentice
Apprentice
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 2130

Add Karma

rated by 2 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly @ Pete8497 ... a little googling for tutorials etc. is required. That's how we all started and the admins/mods are not here to type up tutorials for you, but instead to support your path to discovery and implementation.

I'm glad to say, I successfully installed a blank PHPBB2 forum using MS SQL 2000 and IIS (winxppro) on my home server ... surprisingly, as is the norm with mixing MS and open source, went without a hitch and no issues so far! ... so I am as happy as a pig in .....  We are looking at buying an export soon, so the question about importing into MS SQL perked my ears up.

My question now is, can I assume the "postimage.org" links to the pics that users have posted on the forum are stored in a table too? I'm not sure whether the creator of the forum (who has now left us), sourced the image serving service independently or if it's supported by MYFF? I'm glad we can at least get the avatars. To be honest, we're not too happy with postimage, as the pics don't always load up (full-size), displaying only the filename. It could also be the problem we have in this country with the Telecoms company and ADSL.

Thanks.
myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 282 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the postimage links are in the post and will continue to display, as would any myff gallery images.

drazen
Apprentice
Apprentice
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 2130

Add Karma

rated by 2 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> PhpBB2 General Support All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: