FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Who is OnlineWho is Online   Join! (free) Join! (free)  
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  • Welcome

IP address and moderators

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> PhpBB2 General Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

Add Karma

rated by members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
Posted:     Post subject:

ChrisB
Pupil
Pupil
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 120

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: IP address and moderators  Reply with quote

Is it possible to set up a Moderator account which does not allow the moderator access to show the IP address of all the users ?

I have tried a number of times but when ever I set up the Modertors and I test it on a test account while they have the option to edit,delete etc users posts, the IP button is always on show which allows them to interrogate any users IP they are posting from which I am not keen on allowing them to see, it also links IP addresses to people who have multiple accounts, while as Admin thats OK I'm not keen to let the Mods  have that amount of access as I can see it causing issues especially when they may discover a user with multiple identies which I havent got an issue with but it may cause problems.

I'd be quite happy to be able to completely turn off the IP search/logs if theres such an option but currently I cannot see a way of doing it ??

Chris
myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 92890

Add Karma

rated by 281 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but if you can't trust moderators with ip addresses then you can't trust them at all.

Family Friendly Shareware | | Web Design/Services | Free Forums
ChrisB
Pupil
Pupil
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 120

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did suspect that might be the answer, in honesty its a little more complicated than that, in the main we're trying to avoid a moderator working out who actually runs the site and who is who because in a previous incarnation there was a whole lot of problems when any form of discipline was required, this ended up directed at the owners and mods. By having a certain anonymity it means Admins and Mods can continue to post under their regular user name without the risk of any back lash.
We only have a couple of Admins who know whats what and are happy to operate under this and we do know each other, we had hoped to bring in a couple of extra mods but having found out they can see the IP's of the admins and the other users it wont take them long to work out who is who and then before you know where you are loose tongues and all that it all falls apart yet again, been there done that got the t-shirt.
Looks like we may have to look at another option, was worth a try.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> PhpBB2 General Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: