FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Who is OnlineWho is Online   Join! (free) Join! (free)  
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  • Welcome

How to get the best response out of the support forum
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

Add Karma

rated by members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
Posted:     Post subject:

myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 92480

Add Karma

rated by 282 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: How to get the best response out of the support forum  Reply with quote

Everyone posting on here gets support, and we are proud of how good that support is.

But some people get their questions resolved a lot quicker than others.

So here is how they do it.

1. They follow the posting check list, not just on the first post in a thread, but within the thread itself. If each (well perhaps not  quite each) post on a thread posts links and recaps where things are with the issue, then someone can understand what needs to be answered without rereading perhaps several pages.

2. They don't develop a reputation as a time waster. Some things may be hard to search for, other things are very easy to find with just a little effort.

3. They demonstrate a willingness to actually make the effort to learn in proportion to the complexity of things they want to do. If you really do want to make dozens of  html edits you should learn at least the basics of html.

4. They have a forum worth supporting. A forum is about posts and members, if your priority is not the forum contents, but template editing then your forum is doomed. So why should people want to spend time supporting a doomed forum?

5. They are polite and appreciate help given.

6. They post in clear English without TXT speak or silly colours or fonts. Little is more annoying than someone wasting time on fonts and colours that generally make their post less readable, and no time proof reading what they have posted to see if it actually makes sense!

7. Last but not least, having learned themselves, they try and help others on the forum to give back to the community.

Family Friendly Shareware | | Web Design/Services | Free Forums

Last edited by myff admin on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
CodyT07
Guru
Guru
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 4710

Add Karma

rated by 23 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: How to get the best response out of the support forum Reply with quote

admin (no pm's please) wrote:

Everyone posting on here gets support, and we are proud of how good that support is.

But some people get their questions resolved a lot quicker than others.

So here is how they do it.

• They follow the posting check list, not just on the first post in a thread, but within the thread itself. If each (well perhaps not quite each) post on a thread posts links and recaps where things are with the issue, then someone can understand what needs to be answered without rereading perhaps several pages.
  • They don't develop a reputation as a time waster. Some things may be hard to search for, other things are very easy to find with just a little effort.
  • They demonstrate a willingness to actually make the effort to learn in proportion to the complexity of things they want to do. If you really do want to make dozens of html edits you should learn at least the basics of html.
  • They have a forum worth supporting. A forum is about posts and members, if your priority is not the forum contents, but template editing then your forum is doomed. So they should people want to spend time on a doomed forums.
  • They are polite and appreciate help given.
  • Last but not least, having learned themselves, they try and help others on the forum to give back to the community.

A bit easier to read, don't know how to do numbered list though
notofflimits

Add Karma

rated by 1 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: forum owners forum Reply with quote

The forum owners forum
Discuss with other forum owners here. You will need to email myfreeforum.org with your forum details to be allowed entry!

I am supposed to email you, but you don't want pms. How do I gain entry.
Nick(NR)
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 21700

Add Karma

rated by 43 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

I'm better than Jose!
online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emails are not private messages.
K.a.t.h.y

Virtual Cash: 30

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Correction? Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but your last sentence in #4 does not make any sense at all!
Viper
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 1480

Add Karma

rated by 6 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Correction? Reply with quote

K.a.t.h.y wrote:

I understand it fine.
Brandon
Teacher
Teacher
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 510

Add Karma

rated by 2 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Correction? Reply with quote

K.a.t.h.y wrote:

It means you shouldn't be wasting your time making your forum look pretty. You should worry about content and visitors first, then worry about the "shiny" bits.
Full Tilt Boogie
Teacher
Teacher
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 6180

Add Karma

rated by 8 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

EUNOIA - A Fun Place To Be
online/offline
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Correction? Reply with quote

Brandon wrote:
K.a.t.h.y wrote:

It means you shouldn't be wasting your time making your forum look pretty. You should worry about content and visitors first, then worry about the "shiny" bits.

Fair point, Content is King - but only partially true: there's a quantum difference between just making the place look like a tart's handkerchief and offering features (not mere cosmetics) which benefit and convenience a board's membership (or "enhancing their user experience").
Moreta
Novice
Novice

Virtual Cash: 150

Add Karma

rated by 1 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: I am a NEW admin Reply with quote

Hi...I just found this site. The previous admin decided to leave her site to me without discussing it with me and I was like...wha...?
For the sake of those who already joined, I'd like to give it a go, even though I dont have a clue on what to do. I think this forum will help. If you have any tips at all, please, please do not be shy. I will not be offended at all.
myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 282 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First tip, post in the right place with a link to your forum, your post is just a pointless bump of an old thread.

Moreta
Novice
Novice

Virtual Cash: 150

Add Karma

rated by 1 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY bad... I am trying...still looking for THAT thread
Caden Brewer
Craftsman
Craftsman
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 2330

Add Karma

rated by 7 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post in terms and conditions!

sefry23
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 10

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, another admin that is on my current, active site, http://wolfsimrp.myfreeforum.org/, has the ranking of a Site Admin, but she is nnot able to go into the Administration Panel, I was wondering if maybe only I would be able to see the Administration Panel, since I created the site, I will give more info if needed.
myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 282 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it to one support question per thread, if you have another question start a new topic. This will help others using "search" to find answers.

Do not end of thread spam. Your question has nothing to do with this thread.

kagome
Novice
Novice
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 230

Add Karma

rated by 1 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Correction? Reply with quote

Viper wrote:
K.a.t.h.y wrote:

I understand it fine.

I wanted to comment on #4. I agree it makes not perfect sense but I  think  I do understand what you mean. To clarify I understand it as this:

"Don't spend only time to make your forum pretty as content is VERY important"

as apposed to what I think people read it as which is:

"Work on content and getting members first before working on the look / theme / smilies / ect on your forums".  

If it is infact the 2nd one then I disagree because a forum that is not set up and looks generic I know personally turns me off as an "unkept" forum (first set up and nothing done with it) even though I know it matters how recent it was first set up. Adding content at first will just be you posting to yourself until members get interested enough to join, so I think that looks of a forum is important! Not as much as security and keeping spam off the forums, but I think it is higher than #4 seems to say it is.

Or on 2nd thought perhaps you are referring to relevant content and not allowing spam to remain on forums before seeking support?

Please clarify / reword?  No offense, I just want to understand the "rules" of what gets forum questions answered the fastest. Also I am thankful that my very little content on my new forums and me being the only member didn't get held against me when I asked my first question and I commend the admins here for their fast support.

I know how frustrating it can be for an admin when members post just anywhere and don't search first before posting their question, and effects any admin's patience when dealing with new members.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements! All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: