FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Who is OnlineWho is Online   Join! (free) Join! (free)  
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  • Welcome

Advice Please.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monsieur-Folie
Student
Student
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 650

Add Karma

rated by 1 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

The Creative Zone
online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Advice Please.  Reply with quote

PLEASE ENTER THE FOLLOWING>>>>

Enter your myff forum url here, if the issue is on a particular part of the forum, then give a link to where the problem actually is. Do not enter your own domain name it must be the actual myff link : http://thecreativeforums.myfastforum.org/index.php

If you are asking a template related question, what is the name of the template: AcidTechRed

Please indicate keywords you have searched on: Portal, Leaderboard, Points.

Now ask your question in clear English without "txt" speak>>>>

Hey, on The Creative Zone we recently implemented a new 'Points' system into our forum, where we reward users for certain actions such as posting new artwork or fan fiction, etc.

We did this by adding a new profile field called "POINTS" and then manually updating each members points. It's quite tedious, but the forum isn't that big, so that's not a huge problem.

What I want to do is to have a leaderboard, preferably a nice slim Portal that I can add to the left hand side of the forum, that shows the top say 5-10 members in terms of this new field "POINTS".

The closest I have come to achieving this is by messing around with the memberlist Portal until I had it just showing points, but this did not work out as I had planned and was not quite what I was looking for.

Is there a way to do this? It would ideally be like the "Top Poster" Portal, which fits nice an snugly down by the side of the forum, only it would be based on the profile field "POINTS" instead.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance,

- Folie.
myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 92900

Add Karma

rated by 281 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't deny it's a great idea, the problem is that the implementation of user profile fields makes sorting them into order very difficult

Family Friendly Shareware | | Web Design/Services | Free Forums
Monsieur-Folie
Student
Student
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 1 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

The Creative Zone
online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

myff admin wrote:
I can't deny it's a great idea, the problem is that the implementation of user profile fields makes sorting them into order very difficult

So it can't be done at the moment then?  
Nick(NR)
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 21710

Add Karma

rated by 43 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

I'm better than Jose!
online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monsieur-Folie wrote:
myff admin wrote:

So it can't be done at the moment then?  

You'd have to do it manually for the time being, unless admin can find a way, I wonder if in the portals setting, for example you could select which xprofile field to show the info/value from, seeing as the points profile field will already have it's type set to number, maybe asc and desc could be fiddled in?

That is all simply an order of how I'd like to think it would be laid out, implementing on the other hand is another matter sadly, not that I wouldn't mind learning properly given the time.
Monsieur-Folie
Student
Student
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 1 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

The Creative Zone
online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I were to do it manually, I'd just have to put a table alongside the left where I would normally put a portal, and input all the values manually and then update them manually? The forum is relatively small so this would be possible, but it's a lot of continuous work and effort..

If Admin or indeed anybody can come up with an alternative way to do this I would be forever grateful!  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: