FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Who is OnlineWho is Online   Join! (free) Join! (free)  
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  • Welcome

Advertising/Donation options
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 92920

Add Karma

rated by 281 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Advertising/Donation options  Reply with quote

I don't want to raise any alarm bells here, but at some point in the not too distant future we are going to be buying new web servers.

This is against a background of a continuing slump in advertising revenue, and the recession has also hit the ability of the parent company to continue to subsidize the forums.

In a nutshell this means about $10,000 needs to be found from somewhere this year. That amounts to about $3 from each really active forum on the system.

We will never do popups, or those horrible adverts where you need to click to get past them to get to the bit you want, or anything else for that matter that we hate to see when visiting forums.

So what are the options?

1) We are playing about with other advertisers. This is already happening, the banners are the same size and same position as always and so people probably have not noticed. Revenue generated this week from that is zero!

2) Putting in an appeal for donations to paypal[at]myfreeforum.org or via the shop. If 1000 forums gave $10 each, that would instantly buy a decent server.

3) Getting a bit heavier on advertising to "guests". Something like you see here not too awful? and might even make people register on forums?

4) Using http://infolinks.com/ a solution that does not take up forum space, but is rather intrusive in my opinion

I'd like peoples opinion on the options and to hear other suggestions. As I say there is no "panic" we are well into the black despite the crunch, but equally if we are going to continue to provide the service level we have to make sure the books continue to balance and that we can invest in new servers when we need to.

Family Friendly Shareware | | Web Design/Services | Free Forums
Bravo
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 24320

Add Karma

rated by 32 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just from the forums I personally go on, I know at least 2 or 3 that have considered buying ad free in the last few months but none have mainly because the ads aren't that intrusive anyway.

If there were some kind of offer maybe that would push them over the edge?  If $10 x 1,000 forums is the goal, then that equates to $20 x 500 forums.

If ad free for 3 months was offered to the first 500 forums only at $20 I think you might just raise the required capital.

I know this would involve an email to forum admins and that you are against that type of email as a matter of course, but I do think if it's explained clearly the goal of this money raising venture then people would understand and come up trumps.  It's not like they are getting nothing for their money is it?
Daniel(u1bd2005)
Teacher
Teacher
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 4350

Add Karma

rated by 6 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Haven't noticed the new stuff you've been trying with different advertisers, but if its not generating income then thats pretty much a no-no.

2) Thing with donations is that I dont believe you will get anyway near that number of people donating, quite a few people probably dont donate to charities, except the change they get from the shops etc... I cant see them donating $10 over the internet to a website.

3) That advertising looks a bit badly laid out on that site, but if you get the advertising more tidy so it doesn't look messy then this would probably be the best idea in my opinion.

4) Infolinks I find really annoying for some reason, it just makes pages look messy when random words are underlined all over the place.

Another idea would be maybe to increase the number of stuff in the shop, nothing to enhance your forum etc... as you always say you aim to provide the same service to everyone.

But maybe some more merchandise, such as new Tee-shirts, pens, badges, mugs, etc...

Not sure how much you actually make via the shop at the moment as to wether this would make enough of a difference.

Appply for a grant somewhere, chances of you getting one are slim, but if you think about expanding then somewhere might be willing to give you a grant. Long shot though.

Go into a partnetship with another company, probably the biggest risk you take, but may be your only choice in a last resort.

Im sure you'll find another forum provider or website provider who will be interested.
myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 281 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue with cheap ad free is that it is cutting one end of a sheet off and sewing it to the other end in the hope of increasing the length of the sheet.

We don't maintain stats on a per forum level, but ad free has always been seen as a service people may want and which from our point of view even if it loses money, does at least spread the income stream out across another source.

Zina2008
Apprentice
Apprentice
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 1120

Add Karma

rated by 3 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved my forums to MYFF a few months ago, having been with another host for a year and a half. That other host was fine to begin with, but then they started messing about with different kinds of advertising and other things, became very erratic and unreliable, were eventually taken over by another company and became impossible to use.

So I speak from my own experience. The underlined adverts were hated, universally, by my community. In fact they liked pop-unders, because you only got one per day, and it could be ignored until you went offline, when it could be killed with a click. But the little cluster of Google-style text ads is equally easy to ignore, so that would be my preference over the underlined ones.

The truth is that very few forum visitors will ever respond positively to adverts, so they like them to be as invisible as possible. Which, of course, is not what the advertisers want at all! However the ads we see here are at least tailored towards the forum content, which is better than what I've seen elsewhere.

As for paying for ad-free - that's a difficult one. In an ideal world, yes, the members could all contribute a little towards the cost, rather than the Admin paying the whole thing. But as things stand, unless there could be a little invitation on the board for them to click (perhaps with a PayPal payment form?) they are not going to do it, so any financial commitment is down to the Admin.

I hope you won't go into partnership with another company; "partnership" normally ends up as a takeover of one party by the other, and we're still recovering from that at our previous host.

Sorry, I don't have any answers! But then I've reached an age where "change" always sounds threatening. I hope we can continue as we are for a while yet.
myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 281 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partnerships are not going to happen.

Also this business was started with the intention of being better than others on the advertising front, and that also will not be massively changing.

As I said myself I don't like the look of word linked ads, but I thought it worth flying the idea. Maybe I was in a minority on that.

All the same we can project that in the next year or so there will be a short fall if we want new server(s), and that is also not acceptable.

Zina2008
Apprentice
Apprentice
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 1120

Add Karma

rated by 3 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're not considering partnerships - they're a nightmare for us little people who are just trying to keep a forum (or five, as I was) running!

I think one major problem in the area of funding is the Internet itself. Everyone gets so used to being able to surf here and there, helping themselves to images they like, sounds they fancy and links that take their eye, all for free, that they forget it all needs money somewhere to make it possible. Of course the technology isn't free, or anything like.

Is it okay if I copy the first post here for my members, to see if they come up with any brilliant ideas? (I doubt if they will! But it might make them think about it all for a minute.)
myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 281 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free, that is why I posted here, we need to find the balance that pays the bills and which people enjoy.

Nick(NR)
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 21710

Add Karma

rated by 43 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

I'm better than Jose!
online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest maybe trying to "sell the product" of adverts to largish companies, pc world, currys and so on?
CodyT07
Guru
Guru
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 4710

Add Karma

rated by 23 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum's that donate have an ad that appears like 'Downsizer's' ad every now and then in the google ads area? Though I can see some controversy being raised about it....
Add a donator's portal on the support forum and have forums that donate ad appear in the donator's ad like Text ads?

I'm just throwing out ideas.
Bravo
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 24320

Add Karma

rated by 32 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CodyT07 wrote:
Add a donator's portal on the support forum and have forums that donate ad appear in the donator's ad like Text ads?

I'm just throwing out ideas.

I think that's a cracker of an idea, basically buying advertising space.  I think people would go for that rather than donating, in my experience people don't donate to websites, but want something in return for their money.  I'm sure a lot of forums would like to buy some banner space.
P Shivers
Student
Student
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 920

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

Arachnophiles Anonymous
online/offline
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't mind chipping in. $10 for the services I have received over the last 6 months won't break me. If I can do $20, I will. I understand that times are tough, and I like the ads that show up on the forum. They match real well with the content and I know that a few of my members have clicked them, so I don't really want to have them removed.

myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 281 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note to those generous enough to donate.

The moneys will be ring fenced as going towards servers, and we will try and think of some way of thanking those that donate.

panther_dust
Apprentice
Apprentice
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 1790

Add Karma

rated by 5 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im putting a MAJOR post on all the forums i run (about 13) pointing to this thread so hopefully people will understand that fourms arnt free....

i would be willing to pay 20 towards the cause witch would be about $27 first off i gotta get paypal sorted out.. those people cant run a piss up in a brery..

Who is to the vote that admin should take over paypal hehehe..
Alturnitivly you could run a compatition for those stupid enough to enter.. WHO CAN DONATE THE MOST MONEY TO MYFF IN AN HOUR.....(3 runners up loose the adverts in there forum)winer gets to be a mod for a day (in here) and looses there ads
PD

myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 281 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The responses so far are very encouraging Maybe we can appeal successfully. $10,000 for one new server is practically all we need to secure the next few years, it's a lot of money but not that much when divided.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements! All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: